Poison ivy rash is an extremely common allergic reaction that occurs when coming in contact with the leaves, stems, and roots of poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac. The rash can become very itchy in a short amount of time and spreads whenever it’s scratched — an urge that is quite hard to resist for most people.

The severity of poison ivy rash can vary, but it’s common for the rash to last for several weeks if left untreated. Certain people may have harsher reactions due to their allergies as well, and the rash can create further complications if it spreads to certain parts of the body.

Signs and symptoms of a poison ivy rash can include:

  • Redness
  • Itching
  • Swelling
  • Blisters

What Causes Poison Ivy?

Poison ivy rash is a type of allergic contact dermatitis that is caused by a resin known as urushiol — the oily substance found on poison ivy, oak, and sumac. This resin is very contagious and can be spread by even the slightest touch of an object with it on the surface. Scratching and rubbing the affected area spreads the urushiol even more, resulting in a larger area covered by the rash.

Poison Ivy Treatment at Image Renu Dermatology

In most cases, a rash from poison ivy will subside on its own after two weeks. However, if the rash is widespread, or your particular reaction is worse than average, you’ll likely need extra care to heal the rash and its effects. Fortunately, Image Renu Dermatology can help!

Our team can get you in and out quickly, assessing your situation and providing fast and effective treatment for your poison ivy rash. If your reaction to poison ivy is severe, or if you’d simply like a way to clear the rash up faster, schedule an appointment with our team today and we’ll get you the help you need.

Get Fast Relief From Poison Ivy Today

Contact us now to set up an appointment with our expert team of Dermatology Nurse Practitioners.